Thursday, September 26, 2013

Trailer Made

We've been out here in Madang for the last week now. I've only managed to actually sail Shan Skailyn once yet. Though most of that was because of the fact that I didn't yet have a trailer to get it down to the water. That's not to say Shan Skailyn hasn't been out on the water though. We've been out paddling quite a few times with the kids and our friends and their kids. It's fun but this boat is definitely not a good paddling canoe. I've found though that if you get the weight distribution just right it can be much easier. But that's not what this post is about... and don't think sailing has gone by the wayside either. We've sailed once and I'm planning on milking it this weekend now that I can take the trailer out by myself instead of enlisting at least 3 others to help carry.

Here are the pix of the trailer being built... and of course, the final product. The axle is provided by a junked golf cart I found from which I cut out the chassis. Just welded up a suitable frame for the boat and then welded that on top of the chassis. You might notice the welder not wearing a mask... no joke! He says he's been welding since '85 and just shuts his eyes before it lights up. He's gotta have some damage to his retina, I'd think!

I took it in the water today... again with the kids begging to go out... so we just paddled. I'm not sure I want to take my young kids out sailing until I get some confidence on the water being the only one manning things. So when the kids really want to go we just paddle. They love it. We had 3 adults and 5 kids in it yesterday! Anyway, today we took Shan Skailyn out using the trailer for the first time. Kind of a messy ordeal; one I hope to make a little more graceful tomorrow. Today the only way I could get that thing in the water was to lower the trailer into the water, axle, differential and flywheel (left over from the golf cart) and everything. So now I'm really worried about rust. I've been told by friends if I want the trailer to last, not to put it in that salt water. Blew that one today! Hopefully tomorrow's attempt will have me figuring out a better way.

You might be wondering about the folding iakos and how I deal with that. One word... acrobatics! Actually it's not that difficult, but must be very clumsy looking to monohull enculturated onlookers. Once the trailer is in position, I have to unfold and pin the iakos so the ama is in the fully extended position. It doesn't take very much at all to keep the boat from tipping out of it's trailer. But then the acrobatics. I have to somehow, while keeping the boat from tipping out of the trailer, manage to slide it off its trailer and into the water. Today's attempt was too messy to say it's easily doable, but time and necessity usually provide a way.

I won't leave you hanging for too long on the sailing pix and update. Just that my only sailing so far was short and very calm and uneventful. And I've not had much time to just sit and write yet. Sail first... then when our little vacation is over I should get some time to post more.

4 comments:

  1. Great new post! I will be needing a trailer for my Wa'apa when I get done, but I want to be able to transport it in 8 ft, then extend the trailer to take it in and out of the water. It will be next Spring here before
    I get in the water,. boat is done but for painting and steering and leeboard and sail, but winter will be hee before I get done. I enjoy your blog a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful trailer.

    But, I like the canoe better.

    ;)

    Wayne
    Luvsiesous.com
    TexasGrizzly.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am probably wrong, but it looks to me like the guy building the trailer is welding without using dark goggles.

    In case of the remote chance that I am right, you should lean on him to get and use goggles.

    The guys I took welding from in trade school were all half-blind and that was just from occasionally getting flashed by students. If he's actually working with no protection, he is headed for a life of dependency on others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, you are correct. The guy uses no goggles. Believe me... I pushed for him to wear them and offered him some of ours, but he'd have none of it. Says he's been welding since '85 and just shuts his eyes before things light up!

      Delete