Thursday, December 27, 2012

It All Adds Up!

It always amazing to me just how the combined weights of the little things add up! It was about a year ago that I last weighed all the individual components as they were then. Weighing them again now I'm finding that much like many of us as we celebrate Christmas, they've all put on weight! The completely rigged Shan Skailyn is 35.9 kgs heavier than what Gary Dierking specifies in his book. I'm not sure how I feel about that. As I ask where the weight comes from, it's not peanut butter truffles and candy canes, though that may be what did it to me. A great deal of it comes from the accumulated weight of contingencies and other little accoutrements deemed necessary, along with the fact that many of those were made from the only kinds of wood available to me, the heavier, more dense stuff. Wherever I could, I went with the lightest material I could find. But I think now I'm seeing just how much all that adds up. And of course those stainless steel crossbeam hinges didn't help, though the additional weight is a small expense to pay for the added benefit. Over time, as I find the urge to replace certain parts, I'll definitely be doing what I can to get materials that are lighter weight. I can see remaking the leeboard, stub mast, and maybe even ditching the steering oar (or remaking it if I find myself using it enough. And then there are some little pieces that would be easy enough to remake using lighter material with little consequence to my time. For now, for me, it matters not. I'm super pleased with my boat and can't wait to get it out and sail it! Just a couple months till the maiden voyage!

Fore hull section 23.0 kgs (50.7 lbs)
Mid hull section 23.7 kgs (52.2 lbs)
Aft hull section 23.5 kgs (51.8 lbs)
Aft iako 9.8 kgs (21.6 lbs)
Fore iako 9.8 kgs (21.6 lbs)
Ama 14.2 kgs (31.3 lbs)
Sail + spars + rigging 15.0 kgs (33.0 lbs)
Stub mast 5.5 kgs (12.1 lbs)
Steering oar 3.6 kgs (7.9 lbs)
Rudder + tiller + hardware 3.6 kgs (7.9 lbs)
Leeboard + hardware 6.5 kgs (14.3 lbs)
Motor mount 3.0 kgs (6.6 lbs)
2 seats + support pola 7.5 kgs (16.5 lbs)
2 seats + support pola 7 kgs (15.4 lbs)
2 small polas 5.2 kgs (11.5 lbs)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL WEIGHT (fully rigged) 160.9 kgs (354.7 lbs)

I'm not sure how Shan Skailyn's weight holds up to others' builds. Anyone care to comment? What kinds of total rigged weights are we seeing out there?

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I hope your boat will complete sooner.

    ratchet strap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although my tacking outrigger is not a Wa'apa most of the bits are very similar. My main hull is only 17.5 feet and comes in at 135lbs, Aft iako 12.8 lbs, Fore iako 13.4lbs, Ama 42lbs (much more volume), Sail Spars + Rigging 31.4 lbs (10 sq metres), Rudder + tiller 7 lbs, Leeboard and bolt 5.2 lbs, 2 seats 23.2lbs, 2 polas 20lbs, Total Weight (rigged) 290 lbs.
    I must say your boat looks very nice - well done. good luck with your trip. Tim Eley

    ReplyDelete