Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Checking alignment

My very close friend, Sesi, and I were working together on translation yesterday and decided we needed to take 15 minutes during lunch to bolt Shan Skailyn's newly glued up hull pieces together to see how they're all fitting. Sesi has a great interest in seeing Shan Skailyn come together because he's planning on going with us on its maiden voyage. My two older daughters couldn't resist the urge to get in this boat that daddy was assembling in the yard
I'm a bit frustrated that the wrong hex nuts were sent with my bolts. All I can do now is put the bolts through and clamp the thing together across the top of the bulkheads. Definitely don't want to do any moving around of the hull when it's together like that or the strain is likely to break something. I want my bolts! Next chance to get the right nuts won't be till after the new year sometime, as late as Feb or March when we go back to the US for the delivery of the new member of our family.
But I'm happy to say that all the joints are lined up nearly perfect. There will be very little, if any, sanding and filling to match the joints up.

No comments:

Post a Comment