Sunday, September 16, 2012

Motor/Rudder Mounting Bracket

So here's a picture of the motor/rudder mounting bracket as it is currently. Actually, I made this several months back when back in the U.S. and then brought it back with me in my luggage. One thing I noticed working with plywood in the states is that I'm grateful for the really really good quality plywood that is available here in Papua New Guinea. The stuff I've messed with in the states delaminates so easily. So back from the rabbit trail... Note the construction of the bracket varies a bit from what Gary shows in his book. Instead of a flat top and stainless steel bracket with bolts, I figured I'd build the sides up so that they fit snug around the crossbeam. Then all that's needed is a good lashing and the thing isn't going anywhere. Works pretty good and kept me from having to buy more stainless steel stuff. I don't yet have a motor. That may just be a pipe dream, but I am hoping that someday I'll be able to afford a little 2hp yamaha to slap on there. Meanwhile the bracket's primary function will be to support the kick up rudder. You may notice a problem with this picture. The rudder assembly is too low. It's low enough that I won't be able to kick it up because the tiller (which I'll eventually make) will hit the iako first. See where the top of the rudder butts up against the crossbeam? That's where the tiller will have to be able sit when the rudder is kicked up. I think the solution is simple; just relocate the pivot point for the rudder kick up about an inch and a half up from where it currently is.

No comments:

Post a Comment