Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bamboo

I've been looking into how best to coat my bamboo spars when they're ready. The advice one can find online ranges from passing through fire, scraping the outer layer off, sanding, varnish, glassing, and on and on and on it goes. Hmmm, what's the best?
I've heard that the outer layer of bamboo resists adherence to it. Any thoughts out there?
Found some folks that may know... the Texas Bamboo Society (Do they grow bamboo in Texas???). They're saying definitely do not take that outer layer off, but didn't say why. All the bamboo that they are knowledgeable about (they're not sure about the varieties available to me here in Papua New Guinea) have a waxy substance on the surface. So when you varnish, it ends up scaling off over time. They do recommend heat curing. Hmmm. I'll have to experiment. I'll also have to try acetone and see what that does for adhesion. Wouldn't that break down the oils/waxes pretty well?
Hoping to get a couple spars soaking submerged in water for a few weeks to de-starch the things here soon.
Any thoughts or advice out there about just how to treat my bamboo would be much appreciated. Surely there's some experienced users out there? Anyone have any luck with their coatings lasting a long time? Did you scrape? Sand? Remove much of the nodes? Leave them?
FYI, the kind of bamboo available to me that seems most likely to do the trick is a very thick walled bamboo that the Mibu people call 'bovat'. Down at the base it's so thick walled that there is nearly no opening at all. It dries lightweight and is extremely strong. A 1-1/2" dia piece with a wall thickness of maybe 1/4" spanning 6 feet will hold my body weight (190 lbs) and then some with only about an inch of flex. I'm planning on using Gary's recommended size (around 3 inch dia) and going for thicker walled stuff.



2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    interesting project - and location! I don't have much experience but the word on preserving bamboo seems to be either soaking for a month or so in salt water or heat treatment. I experimented with the latter, drill a tiny hole in each section so it won't explode. The heat drives oils etc out and coats the surface with a dark varnish like finish. Just remove side branches, don't be tempted to do any sanding, scraping, other than sanding the branch stubs flash. Just pass through a fire and job done. The heavy wall stuff sounds like it will be bombproof.

    cheers Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff. I live in Arkansas and I have a friend who has 20 varieties of bamboo over many acres. Texas is a huge state, part has one of the faster tree growths in the United States of America. I don't know if you have Gary Dierking's book or just his plans, but in his book he tells you to remove the outer layer and then paint it if you want it to last longest. Gary is a cordial man and replies to emails. I'd simply ask him! He has tremendous experience. gary.dierking at gmail.com He will give you better working advice than our comments! I have good bamboo from my friend available and plan to use it. Here I simply put it in my shop and let it dry under the rafters for a year. You may have parasites I don't have here. If I put it in the sun at all while drying it badly splits. We have high tempratures in the summer and drought alternated with periods of rain at times. Bob P, Arkansas

    ReplyDelete