Saturday, July 2, 2011

Response to comment

DaveP, in your comments about curing bamboo you said, "don't be tempted to do any sanding, scraping." I'm curious if you happen to know why you shouldn't sand or scrape that outer layer? I've heard that before, but never heard why. It seems like a number of people out there do sand it off and then put varnish over it. But none of them ever mention how long their bamboo spars last. What's the importance of that outer 'skin'?

(You'll have to pardon my method of responding here. No internet from out here in the bush. But I can generate new posts via email. So welcome to my way of responding to comments!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Geoff, just noticed your query. My experience is limited, just repeating what I read too. I did scrape the bottom section of a bamboo mast which did break at the base after not much use. But the bamboo was probably not up to the job anyway. I still have the same bamboo boom after 3 seasons use (I just cut and used, NO surface treatment). But I had to make a hollow (square) wooden mast after breaking 2 bamboo masts, and now have a windsurfer mast on boat #2. I think the skin is probably more about protection from rot and maybe splitting than strength. But any scraping or sanding might create the imperfection that a fracture can start from? Sanding, scraping, varnishing are extra work, I'd just go for the flame treatment myself, the finish is its own natural varnish.
    The iakos and an unstayed mast take big loads.
    Breaking a mast may be very inconvenient, but breaking an iako could be life and death stuff.

    cheers Dave

    ReplyDelete