Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Response to comments

Hey DaveP, once again, thanks a ton for your input!
I'll have to try the coffee grinder on the sawdust. In order to keep the dust as fine as possible, I've been using stuff from my sander. It's not as fine as flour, but much more fine than what the saws produce.
So now, I'm wondering if I should do anything to 'fix' what I have already glued, or just leave it. I would think that I don't want to take chances with the chines or gunwales coming loose at any time. So far, I've only glued (and nailed with bronze ring nails) the 2 chines on the middle section sides, and one of the gunwales on one of the middle section sides. It's not too far down the road so as to be unsalvageable. I'm wondering how I could 'test' to see how things are going to hold. As far as solutions, I would imagine that the one least prone to cause irreparable damage while still doing the job well, will be to reinforce more with nails and then fillet those joints. I'm planning on fiberglassing the bottom with a 2-3" overlap, so that will help quite a bit too. Maybe some bonded screws toward the ends of the gunwale, closer to where all the stress will be from the iakos? Any other thoughts for making sure my boat doesn't fall apart on me out at sea?
Then obviously for the rest of my joints, I think I'll take your advice to make sure I get good adhesion. Good thing I asked!

No comments:

Post a Comment