Monday, August 1, 2011

Beginnings of leeboard and rudder



I didn't get a whole lot of time this weekend to work on Shan Skailyn. I'm out of 3/4" ring nails at this point. So I'm waiting for more of those so I can start assembling the hull which sits, just about ready for that next step.
Instead I started working on some of the other parts. I cut and laminated the timber for both the rudder and the leeboard. Got both of those planed down to thickness, and even managed to cut out the blank for the leeboard. Regarding the leeboard, I'm a bit concerned about the weight. I imagine that it undergoes a fair bit of stress, so I used a fairly strong wood that also ends up being a bit heavy. Actually, when I laminated it, I alternated between the heavier wood and a lighter wood in an attempt to cut down on the weight. Anyway, what I've ended up with after I've planed it down to thickness, cut out the blank, and not having yet shaped it, is a leeboard that weighs just over 7 kgs (about 15.5 lbs). Isn't that weight a bit excessive for a leeboard? Seems heavy to me. I would guess about 3-5 more pounds will be taken off once it is all shaped. Based on knowledgeable feedback, I may just have to re-make it with lighter timber.
I also began cutting up my sheet of stainless steel into pieces to use for the rudder hardware. That is some hard stuff to cut! I broke my last sawzall blade for cutting metal. So then I switched to my skil saw with a metal blade. I did manage to barely finish cutting my pieces before the last of the blade was worn down. Hopefully I can manage to avoid any major mistakes with these. I have nothing left to cut new pieces with! It's tin snips and grinders and files from here on out. Once I finish cutting these, I'll have to find a way to bend them all with a fair bit of precision so that all the holes for the through bolts (for securing to both the rudder and kick up assembly) as well as the holes for the hinge pin match up. If I end up not finding a way to bend them that precisely, then the other option would be to bend them before drilling the holes, then put a scrap piece of lumber between the bent 'flaps' and then drill through all of it at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment