Sunday, August 14, 2011

Getting the dry run out of my system

OK, I know I just posted something today about the hardware I worked on yesterday (sat). BUT, after we hiked back up from the church meeting this morning, I had a little bit of spare time. The idea of having all the pieces for the hull ready to assemble, but holding off because of a shortage of nails is driving me nuts. Next best thing... do the dry run to make sure everything is going to fit right and to make sure all is good and square. Didn't take long at all (about 1/2 hour) and was totally worth it! Nice to see some fruit from my labors instead of all these small pieces. This is it, Shan Skailyn's hull coming together! I had my friend Trip (pronounced 'Tree') help me with bending the stern together. For now, I'm happy to see it held together just with screws. Actually had my family come down to check out the momentous occasion! Trip's wife, Jepit, was watching (and laughing) through the whole process too. Trip and Jepit have never seen anything like this built before so it's fascinating to them! Fun to watch them watching and hear their comments throughout!
So I measured all the angles and distances and everything is totally square! Whew!
Oh yeah, I also put an initial coat of varnish on the rudder and leeboard yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment