Sunday, August 7, 2011

Just Plane Fun

Planing, planing, and more planing. That's pretty much all I've done during the little bits of time I spent working on Shan Skailyn this weekend. Well, that and shaping with a rasp and belt sander. Oh yeah, and I worked a bit more on the rudder hardware.
Since the hull is on standby until I get more of my ring shank nails, I'm working on the many other small things that will undoubtedly encompass many of the required hours to get Shan Skailyn ready to sail.
What I was planing so much was the leeboard and the rudder. They've been completed shaped at this point and I'm quite happy with how they turned out. It was surprisingly difficult to give them the right shape. I drew out the profile first and cut it out of a template so that I could lay it over the curved face to compare with and shave off where needed. Finished things out with the rasp and belt sander. Pretty much all that's needed now is a good once over with some 120 grit and they'll be ready to have 5 or so coats of polyurethane. In case anyone is curious about the weight of the leeboard (remember my concern in the last post?) it's down to just 5.8 kgs (12.8 lbs). Still kind of heavy in my estimation, but I think we're going to leave it. If, when Shan Skailyn is completed, it seems some weight needs to be dropped, then I'll just have to make a new one someday.
The rudder hardware is coming along nicely. I'm getting my stainless from an old washing machine tub. It's been rather hard to cut! I've also had difficulty bending the pieces exactly as I want too. So far I've got one piece completed, another one partially bent and two others to shape up a bit more before bending to their final shape. Bolt holes will come later. I figured it would be difficult to bend everything with precision, so it didn't make much sense to try to drill those first and go through the heartache of not having them line up later. Glad I made that decision. It would have happened just as I suspected.
Oh yeah, one sad piece of info to add... I broke my only bandsaw blade. Yes, let the tears flow. Will have to work on getting a new one here somehow in the coming months.


1 comment:

  1. pretty nice job on the leeboard! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete