Monday, November 21, 2011

Ama Complete! (well, nearly)

I finished Shan Skailyn's ama this weekend! Also finished the iakos (crossbeams). Ama pix in this post. Iakos will be in another since our email system seems more likely to butch things up with more attachments.
For the ama, I went with Gary's advice and filled them with styrofoam. Don't ask where we got that much styrofoam out in the middle of the bush... we just have it. I filled each section to the max. Will help me feel better about any potential leaks sprung while enjoying God's great big ocean!
The stitch and tape job (oh, that reminds me, I've yet to 'tape' the whole keel joint) went well. Never done that before. Definitely takes some fussing with to get things right though. I'm also really pleased with how the ama struts turned out. I was wondering if I might screw something up there. But everything fit and my double and triple checks reveal that all is well. Pretty sure I got all my angles right too. Nothing backwards or otherwise messed up. Whew!
Not a whole lot else to say except, "Bring on the paint!" Realistically, it'll be a couple more weekends before I get to that as there is a lot of preparatory stuff that needs to happen first (ie. fairing and sanding the fiberglass bottoms and then sanding the entire hull).

No comments:

Post a Comment