Monday, November 21, 2011

Iakos (crossbeams)

Here are the finished iakos. My apologies for not getting pix of the process of making them. I went with the hollow box beam design. I'm really glad I did. They seem really lightweight. I increased the overall width and height dimensions by 10% from the solid wood version per Gary's advice and that of others as well. Oh yeah, still have to put a fiberglass wrap around the end where the ama attaches to keep from splitting.
A word of advice... if you're limited to buying JUST the 6 sheets of plywood recommended in Gary's book, make sure you maintain as much of the waste as possible! Don't be liberal if you rough cut things first. I just BARELY had enough plywood to build these iakos. I had to piece things together a little bit on the second one. Other than some small pieces of plywood it is ALL GONE now. Kudos to Gary for laying things out so efficiently in the plans in his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment